Saturday, July 26, 2008

Before and Now

Quite a few months ago when I mentioned to a friend that I had gone out on a week night to a political lecture she commented on how she wished she could do that. But her husband wanted/needed her home each night. When I replied that this was not not something I probably would have done when Michael was alive either, her response was "well isn't that a good thing about him dying?" I have to admit there are many things I might be doing now that I didn't do before June 23, 2007, but putting the words good and Michael dying in one sentence is just too much for me. But as I go back or rather as I look forward on the coming months and years I do indeed look at the list of things I am doing that I would not have done had Michael been still here.

I just returned from a 2 day golf tournament in North San Diego, I spent two nights away in the middle of the week. My life is kind of divided into those things I do now because I can choose to do them,

overnight golf trips
political lectures
remodeling the upstairs
traveling
remodeling Oregon Beach House
volunteering on Hadassah Committees
letting the dog on the bed and in the pool

and things I do now because I am alone

fall asleep with the TV on
skip meals
avoid romantic movies/books/plays
sleep in the middle of the bed
talk to myself
worry about my decisions
sign up for focus groups
get out of bed at the crack of dawn



not that women who aren't widows don't do these things or that I didn't do some of them before...I just do them all more now. There seems to be this line that divides everything. A sort of before and now. Even more difficult is that creeping sensation that there is enjoyment is one of those things. There is still the guilt of enjoying. I imagine it will be quite some time before it goes.

1 comment:

Dave Musgrave said...

Hi Karen,

I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I guess it's just that season.

Things are different for you and that is predictable. But how they are different is not.

I'll be watching from here....

Love,
Dave M (Alaska)