Tuesday, July 29, 2008

How Does That Happen

As I continue to figure out the mechanics of this blog ..note photo of kids added later than post..I thought I would write a bit about Nick, Casey and Marissa. I know I am blessed and believe me if I knew what Michael and I did right in parenting I would write on how to turn out nice kids. They are terrific. But what I am adjusting to right now; on top of all else is the way you turn around one day and these grown people are suddenly standing in front of you. What a shock it is.

Nick just a few months out of college after losing his Dad is heading out to work in a suit and tie. (After picking out all of Dad's very best ties.) He's calling on his way home from work and doing grocery shopping and changing light bulbs with out anyone asking. Recently after a commercial was shot here and some damage was caused..Nick was all over the discussions to get things right. Making calls, and making his expectations well know in a highly professional way. This from the kid who would call from college and start the conversation with "Mom I don't know how to tell you this" was it a ticket, a car accident, or a failing grade??? Now he is telling me what I should do and he is usually right!!

Casey, who'll be a senior at University of Wisconsin this year, started a restaurant food delivery business last year at school. He just left on a business trip today as he discusses a merger with a guy who owns 3 or 4 of these and now wants Casey's. Not bad for a sociology major. He stands 2 heads taller than me and never forgets to thank me or kiss me goodbye. He's kind and sensitive and so very articulate. They really are both men now...though I can't stop calling them my kids.

Marissa well she is not Daddy's little girl anymore at all. As she head off to college in just 3 short weeks I marvel at how independent she is and at the same time so connected to home and family. What these last few years has done to change her..more good than bad.

Then there is the first time you see them holding hands with someone of the opposite sex, the dating and mating thing ...it's the double take and the realization that they aren't those little smiling little kids in the backyard photos. (well neither am I am that young Mom) They have their own lives now, a little more each day.

1 comment:

Sanora Bartels said...

I was on the sidelines watching you and Michael parent and I can tell you the thing I noticed. You always treated them lovingly as the unique individuals they were, never as just "the brood" or "my kids". When you spoke of them and to them, it was with compassion for their particular path. It is no wonder that they have grown into adults with an innate sense of their own individual strengths.

Sometimes when we are supportive of others' journeys, we forget that we have also always followed our own path (even within a partnership). You are an amazing individual, whose strength and humor and intelligence will continue to shine anywhere you choose to now focus your attention.