Saturday, October 25, 2008

New York, Colorado...on to Spain

Ok so this time I didn't even fully unpack...Olean had the most stunning fall colors I have ever remembered seeing. Vivid reds and yellows and golds everywhere and unseasonably warm temperatures made for a beautiful few days in Upstate New York. I forgot how beautiful fall in the East could be...but don't worry I remember how bad winter can be too. Small town restaurants and family dinners for 30. It was great seeing everyone. I even got to do a ride along in a police car with my brother in law as he patrolled Allegany one night. The local college kids were gone for the weekend so the most interesting action was deer crossing. But it was cool and Tim is always great to discuss the status of life. After a early morning drive back to Buffalo in a driving rain storm...you know when we go 6 months in LA without rain you can forget how it is to drive in the stuff...it was off to Boulder, Colorado to see Marissa for parents weekend. Marissa was at her new Sorority house so I got a tour and met her "big sister". I never was involved with anything like sororities or even the right clique so I have little advice here but she seems very excited about the whole thing. The house is beautiful and everyone seems very nice. We picked up where we left off with shopping and a run to Target for snacks. We got to enjoy a great dinner with the Collins family and daughter Allison who is a sophomore at Boulder, I hadn't seen them since Michael died and Marissa had gotten lots of advice from Allison. Then of course my second college football game this time the home team won. It was a beautiful evening and great to see Marissa settling into college and her new friends. She has a wonderful roommate and truly likes Boulder and at the same time has learned to appreciate some of the comforts she left behind. It is good I think to leave and to learn to value what is here at home.

But now I am sitting here typing when I should be packing. I am about to undertake the biggest journey I have attempted in the last 16 months of being a widow. I have extended myself and tested myself. But this this is out there , I leave on Monday the 27th for Barcelona...I will spend two nights there and then board the ship Crystal Serenity..by myself. Truly an indulgence, a test, an adventure. I go from shear excitement to nervousness to feeling guilty. I bought a journal with the cover "Love who you are" Well here is to figuring out a little of who I am..or how about just relaxing, drinking, eating and oh, yes playing golf on some of the most amazing Spanish golf courses. I will be cruising for 11 days including Casablanca (on election day..I already voted) and the Canary Islands. I end up in Lisbon on the 11th of November and return to Los Angels on the 13th. I will plan to write about my trip. I really do not know what to expect on my very first cruise, my coming out of sorts. I have gotten lots of advice let's see what happens. Stay tuned

No comments: