Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Rain in Spain

Finally I am seated in the nose section of a 747, there are just 12 seats maybe in KLM Business World they call it. There are more seats in the 747 upstairs section but I am downstairs right in the nose and it is very cozy and space age. The moment of departure had finally arrived…we were given champagne and I got teary. Was it why I was going, the circumstances, would this have been the trip we would have gone on with Marissa safely at college and both of us now empty nesters? I notice the couples across from me. (It will turn out they too are going to Barcelona and to the same ship) I am surprised at how this bothers me, not that it bothers me but that it still is there, this noticing all the couples and the sadness it brings on in me. I keep thinking I have past it but no. I make a promise to myself to get over it. At least for now, one of the reasons for this trip is to grow into this role of being one and lamenting that I am no longer part of a couple is not going to get me anywhere. Ok so maybe it will be harder than I thought, a challenge I think I am ready to try, oh what a place to start.
I arrived in Barcelona Tuesday, October 28 in a downpour. I was met at the airport by Cruise Line reps and a handsome driver took me to the Majestic Hotel in the Center of Barcelona. I was pushing my body clock and able to stay awake until almost 9pm. Not before having my first glass of Cava (tapas tonight) Then after watching BBC interview some college students in Pennsylvania about the election (I can’t stay away from it)So much on the BBC about the American Election..history in the making they say. I fell asleep to the pounding rain.
Wednesday, the 29th I took a half day tour of Barcelona with other guests of Fine Wine Voyages. The rain and the cold have put quite a damper but I was glad to be on a nice warm bus than the open tourist buses so many had recommended. Everyone says the weather was just beautiful yesterday but then the sky opened up. We got off at a number of locations and toured the big cathedral, the Olympic village and stadiums and even got to the old synagogue being restored. The three hour tour gave quite a good overview of the city and the guide was very good and full of historical knowledge and taught us much about the customs of Spain. Dropped back at the hotel in the early afternoon the weather has put a damper on my exploring too much on foot this afternoon. I am regrouping and warming up hoping to catch a cab over to the Casa Décor Interior Design show where a new acquaintance’s sister is showing. Tomorrow at noon I head to the cruise ship Crystal Serenity.

No comments: